Tulsk has been the birthplace of many celebrated people. Known famously as ‘the birthplace of Percy French’ (our bulletin title is from his early writing life) the parish has also been home to others who may not be as well remembered, but who made a significant mark in their own lifetime. One such person was Fr Thomas Lavin, who was the Tulsk Parish Priest from 1920 until his death in 1939. His interesting obituary from the Sligo Champion is reprinted here, word-for-word (which includes the title). Also in this edition is an old report of the Rathcroghan Steeplechase from 1828. The annual race, though completely forgotten today, was one of the earliest formal race meets in the county, and was an important chapter in the history of racing in the province. Some old advertisements, trivia, and Tulsk History Society news make up the rest of the current edition.
Our first article this edition is a report of the large outdoor rally that took place in the village of Tulsk in October 1903, when the leader of the Irish Parliamentary Party, John Red-mond, came to address the people on this very topic. Also in the edition this month is a Kilmurry school inclusion in the Duchas Folklore Collection from the 1930s, on Toberelva cemetery. We also remember Mary Flanagan, of Tomona House, whose journey into Russia at the outbreak of World War One is the stuff of epic adventure.
With great enthusiasm Tulsk History Society brings you the first edition of our new bulletin. The title is a tribute to that great former resident of the parish: Percy French. Percy, as we all know, grew up in Cloonyquin, and in one of his earliest forays into writing he came up with his own youthful newsletter, which he named The Tulsk Morning Howl.